6 Princess Street
Knutsford was recorded in William the Conqueror’s ‘Doomsday Book’ of 1066 as ‘Cunetesford’ (‘Canute’s Ford’) derived from the place where Danish King Canute ‘forded’ the River Lily in 1016. Later variations of the town’s name are Knotesforde (1281), Knodesford (1354), and Knyzteford (1398). The main town centre streets, Princess Street (also known locally as Top Street and where Rohan is situated) and King Street lower down (also known as Bottom Street), form the ‘hub’ of the town. At one end of the narrow King Street is an entrance to Tatton Park."
Knutsford is famous for its abundance and eclectic mix of restaurants, traditional pubs, bars and tea rooms. These include The Lost and Found, The Botanist, The Courthouse, Brasserie Blanc and Belle Epoque, the latter of which features two pillars taken from the original St. Peter’s Church in Manchester, a Mediterranean Roof Garden and the Italianate style ‘Gaskell Memorial Tower’ - a living embodiment of the Belle Epoque Era.
Knutsford is an interesting and pretty Market town, with original cobbled streets and Georgian buildings and houses, typified in Elizabeth Gaskell’s famous story of ‘Cranford’, which was set in 19th century Knutsford. Elizabeth Gaskell, 1810 – 65, the novelist and biographer, spent most of her life in the town and the house where she grew up stands in what is now Gaskell Avenue.
Tatton Park is one of the North West’s most popular heritage attractions. Over 750,000 visits are made each year to the 1,000 acres of deer park, Mansion, Gardens, Old Hall, rare breeds Farm and events.